Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Motivational Post For My Friend Sam

Yesterday Sam gave me a pretty solid kick on the behind in an attempt to motivate me to post, and today I owe her one.

Samantha, get off your ass and clean your room.

I'm not telling you this because I care whether your room is clean, or because I know you wanted me to tell you this.

I'm telling you this because it's a small thing you can change about your day today. I'm telling you this because I know you are feeling the major suckitude of the post-graduation black hole that is being broke from working your ass off at a job that's boring and meaningless, and because I know you want to start putting your life in order. And cleaning your room is constructive effort towards a small improvement. Maybe it's a baby step, but it's a step all the same. If you like the place you live, you can begin to like living there, and that's a good start for putting your life in order. If you set yourself a task and accomplish it, that's another good start for putting your life in order.
The main character in one of my favorite books said, "Keeping yourself clean, cooking, eating, clearing away afterward--that's what life's about." And I think that's true. I think taking care of yourself is the first step toward living a life that means something, and, as mundane as it sounds, cleaning your room is one of the many ways to take care of yourself.

So, Samantha, get off your ass and clean your room.
And then call me, because I miss you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment