Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Non-Gretchen-Rubin-esque Solution

Since my fated run with Meg, I've been trying to do at least one new thing every day, even if it's only reading a book I haven't read before.
In the last week, I have:
1. Gone to see my very first ballet
2. Called up an old friend and ended up having a super interesting conversation with his friend about the boundary line between loving someone else and hurting yourself, all while sitting in a high-rise condo in Scottsdale eating Chipotle
3. Found a new route to run for my short-run training days that I can get to from my house and which involves a lake I didn't know existed
4. Driven up to Flagstaff for a day and hiked 14 miles
(4b. Limped around and downed like 1200 mg of ibuprofen the next day--OMG I HAVE TO RUN THAT FAR?!)
5. Went to see the new version of The Karate Kid (does this count as a new thing?  I saw the old one like fifteen years ago, so I didn't even remember the ending).  Is it weird how much I love sports movies? You can always count on them to be uplifting, even if your team loses.*
6. Read "The Crack-Up" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(6b. Discovered that in one of his letters, Fitzgerald used "you're" instead of "your," and I felt horribly violated.  What a thing to see at six in the morning over coffee!)
7. Got diagnosed with pink eye.  This isn't really a new thing, seeing as how I picked one of these babies up when I was ten from swimming in Nantucket and it scarred my cornea, but, hey, I certainly haven't done this in a while.

I feel like this is a cheerful solution to my doldrummy dilemma: if, one day, I don't manage to do a new thing, it won't really matter, but in general I will be trying new stuff regularly, and I think that will make me very happy without making me feel constrained.

*Strangely enough, I don't like real sports.  I've decided that this is because real sports are not funny.  No one laughs.  Ever.  Real sports take themselves so seriously that you have to wear suits to be involved in them.  That's probably why I don't like politics, either.  Anywhere you can't crack a well-placed fart joke is a place I don't ever want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment